Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Getting Started

Every time I looked in the mirror. ...I always saw the girl back from 1998. Just a little more refined and aged. 
I hated taking photos from the chest down. .. and to be fair. .. my best qualites which I thought could overpower the rest of my body was my face.
Now I'm not saying I'm the best looking chick ever. . But I don't think I'm bad looking either. 

But sadly I would always say I would start my weight loss "plan" next month. .. or after this holiday. .. or some other excuse.  I just wasn't ready to give up on the idea of being on a diet for the rest of my life! That scared me! 
Weight issues run in my family. ..I know this.  But,  I love food. .. which everyone can tell by my weight!  Which was okay for me as long as I could find some nice looking clothes in the "plus-size" section. 
So when was my wake up call? ?
Well,  the complex we had moved to had organized a 5k run. ... and Dillon really wanted to do it and asked me to come.  I was hesitant and really was trying to find an excuse not to go. But the look on his face with such excitement that we could do something athletic together I just couldn't say no. 
So I went to bed early the night before.  Prepared my horrific and scared mind for the tough morning ahead of me and just prayed that I could find some way to get out of this thing.
Woke up in the morning. ... had water and a banana and would you know it. ... my stomach was acting funny. .......
Blessing? ?? I don't think so. Dillon stood at my bathroom door giving me the count down to the time we had to be there. 
Finally feeling a little better. .. We headed down and signed in.
Then my stomach started again.  So I rushed home left Dillon at the feild and he came home about 10 minutes later saying they would start in 15 minutes and yelling at me to HURRY UP! 

So I pulled myself together and we went down.  I was praying that this tummy issue would hold off till I finished this 5k. If I made it!

So here we both are..... standing at the start line .. Dillon excited and telling me he will meet me at the end!  I just nodded at him and said "sure"!!!!

We started. .........
Kids went first and I was in the back of the line for the "walkers"!
Can you believe I was dead last within the first 400 meters! I felt so discouraged.  Even the senior citizens were way ahead of me. .... so I put my music on and just kept walking!
Eventually before I made it to the half way point I saw all the experienced runners making the turn to the finish line.  The thought occurred to me to just take that turn and be done with it. But I was actually scared Dillon would never let me live that down! So I continued on the path feeling I made a HUGE MISTAKE.
Halfway through the 5k I started passing people and felt a little happy that I was no longer in LAST PLACE.....4th to last was fine by me.  My feet were killing me. .. my back hurt like crazy. .. but I wasn't last!
Finally when I made it to the final turn towards the finish line I was expecting a large crowd of people cheering me on to finish.  When I got there. .... no cheering. .. no clapping. .. nothing.....I was feeling a little pissed off. ..I wanted some acknowledgement that I finished!
Feeling sad. ...I was just gonna find Dillon and just go home,  but I heard this kid shouting "MOM.....MOM.... YOU DID IT...." I looked to my left and Dillon was running from the start line with a bottle of water and gave me the biggest hug ever!

That was my acknowledgement! !!! My son telling me great job! 

That was my WAKE UP CALL! I felt great.  I did it. .... I'm tired,  I hurt,  but I had this empowering feeling that I could do this. ..I could workout and get healthy.   I want to do this again! !!!

Even though it took me 90 minutes to complete 5k.....I don't care. .. that was a new record for me! I didn't cheat. ..I didn't quit and I followed through on a task that scared me to death.  I also didn't have to sit in an ambulance which I thought would be a possibility! 

It was all me. ... and I had Dillon for my support and motivation! 

Our gym opened up in our complex the following week. .. and we had a 2 month free trial. I hated the gym....... been there., done that.  But this time I had a gym buddy.  My BFF.... We started going daily every evening for about 65 minutes.  Would you believe I started enjoying it.
I even had a free trainer during that time. 
So after about a month of going and discovering the elliptical machine ( which I love) my BFF and I decided to start the GM diet for 7 days. 
Now keep in mind I have a scale at home and I thought I had maintained my weight of 133kgs for the last 2 years.  Yay that's a lot. .. but not "that bad".
After doing the GM diet I noticed that the scale was not moving from the same position.  I was disappointed.  But my friend said don't worry. .. lose inches is okay dont worry about the weight. 
I knew I had lost weight.... just didn't know how much.  So I bought a digital scale online and I got it a week later........

To be continued. 

No comments: